Employee turnover is expensive. Unfortunately it happens more and more. It has been estimated that by early July 2015, more than 2.7 million people quit their jobs. That is up about 25% from 2013. Younger people are much less likely to stay in a job they do not like. Millennials are now being called the “job hunting generation.” As many as 60% are open to leaving their current job at any given time. That is more than any other generation that has been surveyed for this. If you find yourself looking to hire an executive, you may want to hire an HR executive search company to help with the process.
Who can be hired using HR executive search consultants? If you are looking for a chief executive officer, chief operating officer, or vice president, you may want to hire someone to help with that decision making process. There are some things that you can do to make the experience of working with an agency.
- Acknowledge your kind of search is different. You have a different job set out for you when you are looking to hire someone for a leadership post. These searches take more time and are more thorough than the process looking for a less senior person in your business. If you understand going into the process that it will take more time and effort, it will be an easier thing to go through.
- Get the higher ups involved early. While not everyone has to fall in love with the person who is finally hired, it is a good idea to get your board (if you have one) and top level staff get in on the process. Even when you are working with an HR executive search company, there is a decent amount of preparation work that you have to do. You should expect to work closely with the firm and the people in your company to make sure you get the right person for the job.
- Be as organized as you can. You should be able to get very detailed and organized information to the HR executive search firm. You need to know what you want in a new person but you also need to be able to answer a lot of questions about your business. The candidates you consider need to see why they should be talking to you about taking a job with you. The position you are offering needs to be in line with their goals and needs.
- Remember, you are part of a team. When you are talking to different HR executive search firms, you need to make sure you get the right one for your business and needs. Not every search firm is right for every company. When you are working with an HR executive search company, they will have a roster of people they work with all of the time. You need to find one who is already in touch with the kinds of candidates who would be a good fit for your company or organization.
- Look for a firm with a strong track record. It may go without saying that you need a search firm who has worked in your industry and has a track record of placing good people in jobs that they want and they end up keeping. As much as it may not seem like it, the HR firm you hire has to be able to correctly represent your brand. They become an arm of your business when you hire them.
- Make sure the HR executive search firm takes the time to get to know you and your business or organization. It would be nearly impossible for an executive staffing agency to find the right person to fill your vacancy if they do not really understand what you do, what your needs are and what your general philosophy is. Make sure the firm you end up working with takes the time to learn as much about you as they can to get the right candidates for you.
Making mistakes in hiring is costly. Hiring an HR executive search firm can make it easier and less expensive to get the right person.